Fire Hatchway Jammed During Fire
A fire hatchway was jammed in the Rinkeby apartment house where seven people died of smoke poisoning on Saturday night, Swedish forensic investigators have discovered. As a result, smoke from the first-floor fire became trapped in the stairwell, where the seven family members later died when they tried to escape.
The jammed hatchway was discovered during a fire inspection in the end of May. It was scheduled to be fixed in June, but the repair never occurred.
Tomas Strandman, chief of staff at the Stockholm Fire Department, says that the jammed smoke hatch “made our [firefighting] efforts more difficult.” But he’s not sure if the victims’ fate would have been different if it had been open, according to news service TT.