Baby Given Potentially Lethal Dose
Yet another baby has been given a potentially deadly dose of medicine at the Astrid Lindgren Children’s Hospital in Stockholm. Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter reports that the three-month-old received ten times the recommended dose of aspirin-like medicine after milligrams and milliliters were mixed up.
The mistake was caught by the baby’s parents, who thought the bottle of medicine seemed too large for such a little child. The baby was not hurt, though such a large dose could have caused life-threatening liver problems.
This type of error has been made a number of times at the hospital, including one case in which a premature baby was given a deadly dose of morphine.