"Spyker Still in Saab Negotiations"
The protracted pain of conflicting information about the future continued for the Swedish carmaker Saab on Tuesday. In the evening, the chief executive of Dutch luxury carmaker Spyker Cars, Victor Muller, said that the American owner General Motors is "considering" its offer to buy Saab "very, very seriously".
Nevertheless, the wind-down of the company has started. Earlier in the day, the Swedish Companies Registration Office appointed the liquidators for Saab. In practice, this means that the current Saab CEO Jan-Åke Jonsson and the Saab board are no longer running the company.
Also on Tuesday, the head of GM Europe, Nick Reilly said that it is possible to sell Saab for another two to four weeks, but that the wind down will continue during that time. As for the production, Reilly expected it to continue for another two three weeks. This is a somewhat longer time frame than what has earlier been given by GM chief executive Ed Whitacre and the vice chairman Bob Lutz. Whitacre has said that the US auto giant had done everything it could to find a buyer but so far nobody had come up with the money.
According to Victor Muller at Spyker Cars they have improved their bid and shown Mr Witacre the money. The news agency AFP quoted Muller saying: "We are absolutely definitely negotiating in good faith with GM to buy Saab."
Meanwhile, the workers of Saab are non the wiser as to what the future will bring. At noon on Tuesday, the 3,500 employees at the plant in Trollhättan decided to hold a manifestation to protest against how the owners at General Motors have acted over the last few weeks. "Save Saab, Save Saab" they chanted. The production at the plant stood still for the duration of the protest.