Dustmen Back on Stockholm Streets
The Stockholm Rubbish Strike is over. Early on Tuesday morning employers promised the wildcat strikers not to sue and after a vote the dustmen resumed work as normal.
It is still not clear what will happen with the new contract meaning less pay for many which caused the walkout in the first place. Negotiations will continue now that strikers have gone back to work.
Anders Norberg, chief negotiator for the employer told Swedish Newspaper Svenska Dagbladet that they never negotiate during a wildcat strike, but that they now are prepared to sit down and have a dialogue about work conditions.
As the mountains of rubbish have been cleared in Stockholm over Tuesday afternoon the parties sat down for further negotiations. Earlier media reports showed triumphant dustmen who felt their demands had been met.
However, Clas Linder from the Union told Swedish News Agency TT that the actual conflict yet has to be solved and that the coming negotiations are of utmost importance for both the employment terms and the working conditions of the Swedish dustmen.