Du måste aktivera javascript för att sverigesradio.se ska fungera korrekt och för att kunna lyssna på ljud. Har du problem med vår sajt så finns hjälp på https://kundo.se/org/sverigesradio/

Swedes in Egypt "not at risk" says Foreign Ministry

Updated lördag 29 januari 2011 kl 11.00
Published lördag 29 januari 2011 kl 10.43

The charter trip agency Apollo has cancelled a trip to Cairo on Saturday, following the Swedish Foreign Ministry advice on Friday to avoid travelling to Cairo, due to street clashes there.

But most of the 15,000 Swedes currently in Egypt are at the tourist-resorts along the Red Sea coastline, and according to the Foreign Ministry, the political situation and the demonstrations in the country's big cities do not pose any risk to them.

Apollo's change of plan meant that 180 passengers who had been bound for the Egyptian capital or the beach resort El Sukhna on Saturday ended up staying in Sweden. Instead the plane will go empty to Cairo and pick up 203 Swedish passengers who were due to fly home anyway.

Another effect of the Foreign Ministry advice is that some of the day trips to Cairo and Luxor have been cancelled by Swedish charter trip companies. In addition to Cairo, the Foreign Ministry says travellers should avoid Alexandria, Suez and Ismailia, they should keep themselves updated of the developments and generally try to stay away from crowds.

On Friday evening, the Egyptian state owned airline Egyptair announced it would cancel all flights to and from the country for the next 12 hours. British airways also cancelled some flights from Cairo on Friday evening so as to avoid complications due to the curfew.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Har du frågor eller förslag gällande våra webbtjänster?

Kontakta gärna Sveriges Radios supportforum där vi besvarar dina frågor vardagar kl. 9-17.

Du hittar dina sparade avsnitt i menyn under "Min lista".