Du måste aktivera javascript för att sverigesradio.se ska fungera korrekt och för att kunna lyssna på ljud. Har du problem med vår sajt så finns hjälp på http://kundo.se/org/sverigesradio/
"It was not my fault"

Driver involved in Turkish bus crash arrested

Published söndag 30 juni 2013 kl 10.05
The tourist bus was on the way back to Alanya after a day's excursion when the accident happened. Photo: Scanpix. Montage: Sveriges Radio.

The driver of the tourist bus in Friday's accident in Alanya, Turkey, in which a Swedish teenager died, has been arrested by local police, according to Aftonbladet.se.

The reason for the accident is still unclear. Pictures from a street security camera showed the bus, which was full of Scandinavian tourists, drive through an intersection at high speed before turning left and overturning into a ditch. But the driver protests his innocence.  

"It was not my fault," he said to camera while being led away by police.

On Saturday, Turkish media claimed that break failure on the bus was the cause of the accident, a story backed up by the driver.

"I tried to slow down, but could not. I tried to make a smooth turn but that was not possible."

The bus driver continues: "It was not my fault".

Later on Saturday night he was arrested. Police would not disclose the reason.
"He is under arrest until further notice," said an officer at the police in Alanya to Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet.

Charlotte Hallencreutz, information officer with Swedish travel company Ving which chartered the bus, told news agency TT that they have stringent safety checks and rules.

"We have set rules to be followed by suppliers. For the bus company, we have 21 points on including training requirements, emergencies, daily bus inspections and checklists that apply to brakes and steering systems. Rules are in place but we do not know if it's something that has been wrong on the bus or if some other factor was at play in the accident," she said.

Ving on Sunday told Swedish tabloid Expressen that the bus had been serviced a fortnight ago.

13 Swedes out of 27 Scandinavian tourists were on the bus which was heading back to Alanya after a day trip to the Taurus Montains.

Six out of ten Swedes taken to hospital on Friday remain, including two who were at one stage in a critical condition. The Swedish teenager who died was fourteen years old and had been on the bus with his family. An elderly Danish woman also died. 

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Har du frågor eller förslag gällande våra webbtjänster?

Kontakta gärna Sveriges Radios supportforum där vi besvarar dina frågor vardagar kl. 9-17.

Du hittar dina sparade avsnitt i menyn under "Min Lista".