Stefan Löfven condemns attacks on mosques
Prime Minister Stefan Löfven condemns the latest string of attacks on mosques, saying "this is not Sweden" and that the people who do it are not representing the Swedes.
Stefan Löfven is currently visiting Brazil, but he told the news agency TT's correspondent there that it is important for everybody to distance themselves from the attacks. "No-one in Sweden should be afraid of practicing their religion," he said.
Earlier on Thursday, Löfven was criticised by Omar Mustafa, chairman of the Islamic Association in Sweden, who felt the condemnation had not come soon enough. He was urging the government to do more.
"I have not heard a comment from the prime minister yet, and I am wondering if the government sees it as a serious situation or not. It is a serious situation. The government must take action," he said.
Asked by TT what he has done to improve the situation, Löfven said that he has met leaders of the muslim, jewish and christian religious community, "but that it is important that the government deepens this dialogue to see what they need and what we can do. We will also allocate funding for increasing the security of the faith organisations," he said.
Home Affairs Minister Anders Ygeman is calling for a better dialogue between the government, the police and the muslim organisations to help encourage people to actually report crimes when they happen. He talks to TT about a "possible gap" in the trust between the muslim organisations and the police, and a need for "systematic work with security" including the routine reporting to the police when they have been victims of crime. "In that sense, I think synagogues and Jewish organisations have come further along," he told TT.