Du måste aktivera javascript för att sverigesradio.se ska fungera korrekt och för att kunna lyssna på ljud. Har du problem med vår sajt så finns hjälp på http://kundo.se/org/sverigesradio/

No investigation to be launched against police after fatal shooting

Published fredag 9 januari 2015 kl 11.16
Polisen på plats efter dödsskjutningen i Gällstad. Foto: Adam Ihse/TT.
Police at the scene after the deadly shooting in Gällstad. Photo: Adam Ihse/TT.

There will be no preliminary investigation held against the police for killing a man who was armed with a knife outside of Ulricehamn on Tuesday.

Police say the man had been attacking the woman with a knife, and after trying other means to stop him, they shot the man in his abdomen.

The prosecutor who looked into the shooting said that the woman's life was in danger.

"My understanding is that the police aimed as low as he could, without risking that the bullet would hit the woman. The circumstances were such that it was not obviously indefensible to shoot. That the man later died does not change that judgement," says Lena Lithner, the chief prosecutor on the case, to news agency TT.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Har du frågor eller förslag gällande våra webbtjänster?

Kontakta gärna Sveriges Radios supportforum där vi besvarar dina frågor vardagar kl. 9-17.

Du hittar dina sparade avsnitt i menyn under "Min Lista".