Du måste aktivera javascript för att sverigesradio.se ska fungera korrekt och för att kunna lyssna på ljud. Har du problem med vår sajt så finns hjälp på http://kundo.se/org/sverigesradio/

Malmö murder could be linked to gang wars

Published söndag 1 februari 2015 kl 12.40
Police conduct forensic investigation at the scene of the shooting in Malmö. Photo: Johan Nilsson/TT.

A man who was shot to death at a shopping centre parking lot in Malmö Saturday night had allegedly been involved in gang wars in the city and lived under threat.

The man was reportedly in his thirties and involved in gang warfare between 2007 and 2011, regional newspaper Sydsvenskan reports. He was previously a member of a criminal gang called Brödraskapet, meaning the Brotherhood.

“He was a very dangerous person and a suspect in several incidents where the public could have been harmed. He knew how to handle both explosives and automatic weapons,” Sydsvenskan’s crime reporter Tobias Barkman told news agency TT.

“One can’t be entirely sure that last night’s murder is connected to gang warfare. The man may have had other enemies too, ” Barkman added.

According to reports, the man played a part in the 2007 attack on the home of prosecutor Barbro Jönsson in the southern Swedish town of Trollhättan.

Jönsson was at work when the explosives went off outside her front door. The bombing was a revenge action taken after Jönsson handled several cases against criminal gangs, Sydsvenskan reports. Two people were convicted over the attack.

After serving his prison sentence for his involvement in the bombing, the thirty-something man received police protection, changed his name and settled at a secret address. His identity was later revealed after he stabbed a man, an incident which the Court of Appeal deemed to constitute self-defense.

Barkman, who is also the author of a book about Malmö’s underground criminal networks, said the man had lived under threat for around five years and that his brother was recently killed.

The Saturday night shooting happened next to Malmö’s Mobilia shopping centre after a fight broke out at a restaurant. The man, who was wearing a bullet-proof vest, ran out to the parking lot, where he was shot. He was brought to a nearby hospital in an ambulance.

Apparently, there were several culprits involved in the shooting and police launched a forensic investigation at the crime scene.

As of Sunday afternoon nobody had been arrested but police had heard several witnesses and were searching for a dark BMW, which is thought to have left the crime scene at high speed.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Har du frågor eller förslag gällande våra webbtjänster?

Kontakta gärna Sveriges Radios supportforum där vi besvarar dina frågor vardagar kl. 9-17.

Du hittar dina sparade avsnitt i menyn under "Min lista".