Gävle Christmas goat burns down
This year’s Gävle Christmas Goat survived over the holiday, but it burned to the ground early Sunday morning. An intoxicated man who was detained afterwards has confessed to setting the fire.
The newspaper Aftonbladet has posted a video of the fire.
The 13 meter tall straw goat is a tradition in Gävle, constructed at a central square at the beginning of Advent every year since 1966. And virtually every year vandals have burned the goat.
Last year’s survived the season, thanks to extra guards. But this year was different.
“A police patrol smelled smoke and saw that the goat was burning,” Peter Hultqvist of the Gävle police tells the TT news agency.
The guards followed two masked men, and a man in his mid-20’s was detained, on suspicion of arson. According to the police he confessed immediately.
“He had newspapers and a lighter in his pockets. Both of the perpetrators were masked when they set the goat on fire,” Peter Hultqvist says.
According to reports, the man taken into custody was intoxicated, his clothes smelled of gasoline, some of his hair was singed, and he had soot on his face. The police are looking for at least one more perpetrator.