Assange releases statement to Swedish Prosecutor online
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has publicly released his responses to Swedish prosecutors investigating him on a rape charge.
The Australian was finally interviewed at the Ecuadorian embassy in London last month, six years after the accusations made against him during a short stay in Sweden.
The interview was conducted by an Ecuadorian prosecutor who put forward questions from the Swedish prosecutors. His answers are being submitted as a written statement to Swedish prosecutors.
On Wednesday, Assange put his statement online. He said he was releasing it because he wanted “people to know the truth about how abusive this process has been”.
In his statement he protests his innocence, saying the sex he had with the woman in question was consensual.
A spokesman for the Swedish Prosecution Authority said it would not comment on Assange’s statement as the prosecution was still ongoing.