Nobel winners awarded prizes in Stockholm
This year's Nobel Laureates will be awarded their prizes by Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden on Saturday, December 10.
The winners of the prizes for Physics, Chemistry, Medicine and Economics will be present at the Stockholm Concert Hall.
This year's winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature, Bob Dylan, will not be attending the ceremony but he has sent a speech that will be read at the Nobel banquet, which takes place in Stockholm City Hall on Saturday evening.
The Nobel Peace Prize is handed out at a separate ceremony in Oslo, Norway.
The 2016 Nobel Laureates are:
- Physics: David Thouless, Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz, "for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter"
- Chemistry: Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir Fraser Stoddart and Bernard Feringa, "for the design and synthesis of molecular machines"
- Physiology or Medicine: Yoshinori Ohsumi, "for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy"
- Literature: Bob Dylan, "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"
- Peace: Juan Manuel Santos, "for his resolute efforts to bring the country's more than 50-year-long civil war to an end"
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences of Alfred Nobel: Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmström "for their contributions to contract theory"