Two people were killed and eight were injured in the shooting, which took place in the Biskopsgården area in Gothenburg on March 18, 2015. Five of the men on trial had previously been found guilty by Gothenburg District Court of murder and attempted murder, and the remaining three for complicity.
The Appeals Court in Gothenburg affirmed the District Court’s judgment for five of the men, meaning two have received lifetime sentences, two to 14 years’ imprisonment, and one for 10 years. Two men have had their sentences reduced by two years each, to 12 and 5 years’ imprisonment respectively.
The head of the police investigation unit, Robert Karlsson, said he was relieved that the extensive case had reached closure.
“It’s been a very long process where we’ve prioritised these crimes. It’s a very big relief,” he told Swedish Radio.
The shooting took place at a restaurant in Vårväderstorget square in Gothenburg in March last year. The venue was filled with guests watching football on TV, when two masked men rushed in and started firing automatic weapons.
One of the two people who were killed in the attack has been described as the leader of a criminal gang, while the second person killed had no criminal connections.
Today’s verdict did not come as a surprise to Thomas Larsson, the lawyer of one of the prosecuted men.
“These are serious crimes that my client has been convicted for. As such, the sentence is not surprising,” he said.