New trial begins of convicted murderer Kaj Linna
Kaj Linna, who has served 13 years in prison for a murder he says he did not commit, began a new trial, Tuesday. Last year the Supreme Court granted Linna a new trial after several journalists revealed weaknesses in the original police investigation.
Kaj Linna was sentenced to life in prison in 2004 for a brutal murder he said he did not commit. He was convicted of the robbery and murder of a man and serious wounding of his brother at their farm in the remote village of Kalamark in the far north of the country. Linna's lawyers petitioned for a new trial three times before the Supreme Court granted his wish in December last year.
There was no technical evidence in the case, which is based chiefly on a witness who says Linna told him about plans to rob the two brothers in their home. The witness also says that he, a few days before the murder, travelled to Kalamark with Linna, just for the purpose of convincing him that it was not worth robbing the brothers.
In the petition for a fresh trial, Linna's lawyer presented a long, newly recorded film with the star witness, aimed at showing that he gave incorrect information, and that he has changed his story on several crucial points.
Ahead of his new day in court, Kai Linna, now in his 50's, told Swedish Radio's local channel in Norrbotten that he is expecting that the trial will lead to his release, after 13 years in prison.
I am counting on being released. But I can't be 100 per cent sure, because I have understood that when it comes to courts it is all a bit of a lottery," he said.
The prosecutor, on the other hand, told the news agency TT that he is confident in the evidence in the case. At the start of the trial, he presented information from a telephone company that showed Linna and the main witness had spoken several times on the phone during the month and the days ahead of the murder.