Östersund FK, a club that was in the fourth tier of Swedish football as recently as 2013, has knocked Turkey’s Galatasaray out of the Europa League in a surprising upset.
Radio Sweden's coverage of sports in this country
- Europa League.
- Euro 2017.
Sweden played 0-0 against Germany in their opening match in the Euro 2017. This was the first time in 22 years that the Swedes did not lose a major tournament match against Germany.
- Seven years unbeaten.
Sweden national football team was on Monday preparing to play title-holder Germany in its first game of the Euro 2017 cup. Swedish Radio's veteran sports reporter Bengt Skött explains the excitement.
- 1 av 4Esitinho (middle, next to his father on the left) and P.E. teacher Ahmed Saud. Credit: Dave Russell/Sveriges Radio2 av 4Emilia Bjurgren, Vice Mayor of Stockholm, responsible for sports at the unveiling of a "maxi-pitch" in Husby, donated by UEFA in connection with Wednesday's Europa Cup Final. Credit: Dave Russell/Sveriges Radio3 av 4Maxi pitch.
It is not just bars, hotels and shops that are reaping the benefits of the Europa League Final at Friends Arena. Youngsters in the suburb of Husby have received a boost from European football's governing body UEFA with a SEK 1 million new football pitch.
- Ajax fans: Our hearts are with them - United we stand - but Ajax will still win(2:51 min) (2:51 min)At Stockholm's Friends Arena.
Fans of Manchester United and Ajax are beginning to arrive in Stockholm ahead of Wednesday night's Europa League final at Friends Arena. Anticipation of the showpiece occasion has been tempered by Monday's Manchester Arena bombing.
- Martin Fredman: It’s one of the highest number of police in any operation in Sweden ever.(3:54 min) (3:54 min)At Stockholm's Friends Arena.
After yet another suspected terror attack at a major venue in Europe, all eyes are on Wednesday's Europa League final at Stockholm's Friends Arena, where extensive security measures were already in place ahead of Monday's attack in Manchester.
- Radiosporten's Stefan Elofsson: On a physical level it's been said he's unique(5:25 min) (5:25 min)Serious injury
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has said 'giving up is not an option' as he took to social media to thank his fans for their support after a picking up a serious knee injury last Thursday.
- Sculptor Peter Linde: We had problems with certain details, especially his face(4:59 min) (4:59 min)Has also sculpted "Ingo" Johansson.
The man who has been working in secret for over a year on creating a statue of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, tells Radio Sweden that the sporting icon did not recognize himself at first after the sculptor took him on his word to exaggerate his features.
- After relegation match.
Helsingborg manager Henrik Larsson and his striker son Jordan were attacked by their own fans after the club was relegated for the first time in 23 years.
- Stade de France.
Sweden’s men’s football team face their biggest test since Zlatan Ibrahimovic retired from international football against France on Friday night.
- World Cup qualifier.
Sweden made easy work of a poor Bulgaria side with a 3-0 win at Friends Arena which keeps them level on seven points with France at the top of Group A. The two countries will play on November 11 at the Stade de France.
- Narrow win against Luxembourg.
Sweden host Bulgaria at Friends Arena this evening with the opportunity of topping their World Cup qualifying group ahead of Holland and France, who meet in Amsterdam.
- Life without Zlatan.
Sweden under new coach Janne Andersson opened their World Cup 2018 qualifying campaign with a point in an underwhelming 1-1 draw against Holland at Friends Arena, Tuesday.
- World Cup Qualifier.
After a disappointing summer at Euro 2016 in France, a new look Sweden without legendary striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, host Netherlands in an opening World Cup qualifier this evening.
- U.S. Soccer Federation: Solo's comments were unacceptable and counter to our principles.(1:17 min) (1:17 min)Hope Solo.
The U.S. National Team’s goal keeper has been given a six-month ban from the U.S. Soccer Federation after comments following the US team’s quarter final loss to Sweden in the Olympics.