It is not just bars, hotels and shops that are reaping the benefits of the Europa League Final at Friends Arena. Youngsters in the suburb of Husby have received a boost from European football's governing body UEFA with a SEK 1 million new football pitch.
Radio Sweden's coverage of sports in this country
- 1 av 4Esitinho (middle, next to his father on the left) and P.E. teacher Ahmed Saud. Credit: Dave Russell/Sveriges Radio2 av 4Emilia Bjurgren, Vice Mayor of Stockholm, responsible for sports at the unveiling of a "maxi-pitch" in Husby, donated by UEFA in connection with Wednesday's Europa Cup Final. Credit: Dave Russell/Sveriges Radio3 av 4Maxi pitch.
- Ajax fans: Our hearts are with them - United we stand - but Ajax will still win(2:51 min) (2:51 min)At Stockholm's Friends Arena.
Fans of Manchester United and Ajax are beginning to arrive in Stockholm ahead of Wednesday night's Europa League final at Friends Arena. Anticipation of the showpiece occasion has been tempered by Monday's Manchester Arena bombing.
- Martin Fredman: It’s one of the highest number of police in any operation in Sweden ever.(3:54 min) (3:54 min)At Stockholm's Friends Arena.
After yet another suspected terror attack at a major venue in Europe, all eyes are on Wednesday's Europa League final at Stockholm's Friends Arena, where extensive security measures were already in place ahead of Monday's attack in Manchester.
- First time ever play-off victory over Canada.
Sweden won the 2017 Ice Hockey World Championship on Sunday, beating favourites Canada in a dramatic penalty shootout.
Sweden's football federation has called off a match between two leading clubs from Gothenburg and Stockholm after a player claimed he had been offered a large sum of money to underperform.
- More sport.
Education minister Gustav Fridolin announced on Tuesday that children in secondary schools will have 100 more hours of sports and health lessons in the future.
- Radiosporten's Stefan Elofsson: On a physical level it's been said he's unique(5:25 min) (5:25 min)Serious injury
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has said 'giving up is not an option' as he took to social media to thank his fans for their support after a picking up a serious knee injury last Thursday.
- Winter Games.
Stockholm will consider applying to host the 2026 Olympics and Paralympics, city officials said Friday.
- Selected by radio listener vote.
Olympic silver medalist and show jumper, Peder Fredricson, is the winner of this year’s Jerring Prize for the best sport achievement of 2016.
- Day fines.
Former head coach of the Swedish national athletics team Ulf Karlsson was sentenced for gross slander today for having insinuated that football player Zlatan Ibrahimović had used illegal substances during his time playing for Juventus.
- Don't forget the briefcase.
Looking for things to do during the holidays? Why not check out a bandy match this Boxing Day.
- This week we take a break from the news cycle to bring you a seasonally inspired podcast.
- Condition improved.
Olympic ski cross bronze medallist Anna Holmlund remains in a medically-induced coma after sustaining a head injury in a training accident in Italy on Monday.
- The colossal amount of food thrown away is a feature of Nobel Week and we look at the millions paid to consultants to help run Stockholm's public funded hospitals.
Henrik Stenson became the second golfer after Annika Sörenstam to win one of the most prestigious prizes in Swedish sport, Svenska Dagbladet's Bragdguldet, on Tuesday.