Borrelia Kills Swedish Teen

A 15 year old has died in central Sweden after doctors missed that he had been infected by the Lyme disease bacteria for years.

The boy had long suffered from pain, but had always been sent home from medical centres with just some painkillers, despite telling medical staff that he spent a lot of time in the forests and had often been bitten by ticks, according to local Swedish Radio news. He then developed inflammation of the brain and died.

The bacteria that cause Lyme disease are spread by ticks that live in many Swedish forests.