Woman infected by deadly Dwarf tapeworm

A Swedish woman living in the county of Västerbotten has become infected by a dwarf tapeworm which in rare cases can be spread to humans and can be deadly. The tapeworm is carried mainly by foxes.

Sweden recorded its first case of dwarf tapeworm in February 2011. Following that case, the country's Veterinary Institute embarked on a campaign to examine thousands of foxes in an effort to halt the spread of the parasite. Several foxes from various parts of Sweden were subsequently found to contain the dwarf tapeworm parasite.

The parasite can be transfered to humans through eggs or feces left on berries or mushrooms in the forest.

Sometimes misdiagnosed as a pinworm infection, the dwarf tapeworm is the most common tapeworm infection diagnosed in the U.S and throughout the world. It can be found on mainland Europe and until recently was not found in Sweden.