Local newspaper: Eskilstuna mosque fire caused by deep-fryer

The fire that gutted the Dawa mosque in Nyfors, in Eskilstuna, on Christmas Day, was caused by an overheated deep-fryer, reports the Eskilstuna-Kuriren, citing police sources.

However, a police spokesperson says the investigation is ongoing, and until they've finished their interviews, they will not comment.

Citing an unnamed police source, the newspaper claims that a deep-fryer caught fire, causing the blaze, and that arson was not behind the fire.

Originally, it was thought that the fire was started by a burning object thrown into the building.

Many people were in the mosque the day it burned, and they were forced to escape through the windows.