PhD-researcher had to leave the country to reapply for visa

6:19 min
  • An international student with a temporary residence permit to look for a job was in for a shock when he was told by the Migration Agency that a PhD-position does not count as a "job".

  • Not only would he have to apply for different kind of visa, he would also have to leave the country to reapply.

  • "They were basically telling me: say goodbye to your life, you have to leave everything, and you have four weeks," he tells Radio Sweden. In a comment, the Migration Agency says they have applied the legislation correctly.