Royal Family

Princess Madeleine Breaks Off Engagement

Updated 12:30

Princess Madeline and her fiancé Jonas Bergström are separating, the Swedish Royal Court confirmed on Saturday. After "careful considerations" the couple is said to have come to the joint decision to break off their engagement. "They have agreed that the best for them is to go separate ways," Swedish Royal Court announced on its website on Saturday.

Earlier in the week, a 21 year old Norwegian woman told Norwegian press that she had had an affair with Bergström. It was picked up by the tabloids in Sweden, breaking the tradition here not to publish speculations about the private lives of the members of the Royal Family.

Last week, Queen Silvia told the tabloid Aftonbladet that Princess Madeleine and her fiancé would postpone their wedding, which had been planned for this autumn or winter, because so much attention is already going to Crown Princess Victoria and her wedding with Daniel Westling in June this year. "A lot is happening right now and it is very intense. I think that Madeleine has the right to some quiet time for her own wedding," queen Silvia told Aftonbladet then.

Now, according to the statement on the Royal courts website, Princess Madeleine, 27, and Jonas Bergström, 31, appeal to the media to "show them respect and to be considerate" in the face of this decision. "They need peace and quiet in this difficult situation. The extreme coverage by the media does not help their situation."

The couple got engaged in August last year. They first met ten years ago, when the Princess was 17 years old, and became a couple several year later.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Du hittar dina sparade ljud i menyn under Min lista