The tapes were found in October, after the former Social Democratic government had claimed that all e-mail from the period in question had been erased. At the time it was said there were 150 tapes, but when the head of the disaster investigation commission picked them up recently, there were only 119.
On the other hand, the official who found the tapes says he doesn’t know how many there were, so there might not have been more than 119.
The e-mail records might cast light on the actions of then-state secretary Lars Danielsson, who has provided conflicting accounts. Danielsson has now returned to his former job at the Foreign Ministry, but his future there remains unclear. Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said Saturday that Danielsson will not be appointed to any of several open ambassadorial posts.