- Born in Stockholm 1957.
- Married with three children.
- Lives in Houston, Texas, USA.
- Enjoys skiing, soccer and sailing.
- Graduated in 1987 in experimental particle physics at Stockholm University where he became lecturer in 1991.
- Accepted into astronaut training in 1992 by the European Space Agency.
- Trained in Russia in preparation for a mission to the (now defunct) space station MIR in 1993-96. Served as back-up crew for the 1995 Euro-Mir mission and played an important roll at mission control during the 6 month-long as crew interface coordinator.
- Relocated in 1996 to NASA in Houston and became the first person to train in both the Russian cosmonaut and American astronaut programs.
- Completed his training in 1998 as a space shuttle mission specialist.