Flags flew half mast as co-workers mourned their colleague with a silent minute on Monday.
70 people were working in the mine when a seismic event caused the collapse, Saturday. Ongoing work resulted in debris falling over a truck some 700 meters underground. Intensive work to free the trapped 21 year-old driver ended shortly after four on Sunday morning when his body was recovered.
Swedish Radio News reports that the accident came as no surprise to miners who had long complained of security risks and some 150 landslips had been documented by the union. Union chairperson Harry Rantakyrö told news agency TT that the rate of production is too high to allow adequate reinforcement of the surrounding rock.
But international high-tech minerals group LKAB’s CEO Martin Ivert, does not think the company has fallen short on security. He told TT that the group had reduced accidents by 30% last year but says each fatal accident is, of course, a catastrophe and a unique event which LKAB must learn from.
The last fatality occurred two years ago.