Dangerous gas leak in Småland

Updated 7:20 PM

Fifteen people were hospitalized Thursday afternoon after a gas leak at the paper mill in Lessebo in the southern Swedish province of Småland Thursday.

One is being treated in the Intensive Care Unit at Växjö Hospital, but the injuries are not judged to be serious. Some of the others are to remain at the hospital overnight for observation.

The incident happened when sulphur dioxide was being piped from a truck into the factory, and the hose began to leak.

The local population were initially advised to remain indoors, and a local highway and roads into the community were closed, but that advisory has now been withdrawn.

Fire on Baltic ferry

A fire broke out Thursday evening in the engine room of the Baltic ferry Silja Serenade just after it had left Stockholm.

Infected at the hospital

A 55 year old man has died of pneumonia apparently caused by Legionnaires' disease in Karlskrona in southern Sweden.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.