Du måste aktivera javascript för att sverigesradio.se ska fungera korrekt och för att kunna lyssna på ljud. Har du problem med vår sajt så finns hjälp på https://kundo.se/org/sverigesradio/

Tourists fly home as Sweden protests to Egypt

Published fredag 16 augusti 2013 kl 09.23
The number of dead is estimated at 630 so far. Photo: Jesper Lindau/Swedish Radio

The Swedish Foreign Ministry now says that travellers should avoid all of Egypt, extending their earlier warning, which did not include the Red Sea resorts.

Around 500 tourists will fly home at the weekend, and travel companies are cancelling all trips to Egypt, reports news agency TT.

Also on Thursday afternoon a diplomat from the Egyptian embassy in Sweden was called to the Foreign Ministry, where the Director-General for Political Affairs, Björn Lyrvall, told him of Sweden's concern over the situation, says a ministry spokesman to TT.

"We presented our position, that violence is not a solution, rather it is respect and tolerance that must rule. And that we see the military and the interim government as having the main responsibility for the current situation," says the ministry spokesman.

Roughly 800 Swedes live in Egypt permanently.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Har du frågor eller förslag gällande våra webbtjänster?

Kontakta gärna Sveriges Radios supportforum där vi besvarar dina frågor vardagar kl. 9-17.

Du hittar dina sparade avsnitt i menyn under "Min lista".