The nurse flew home after an incident in Sierra Leone, where she had been helping Ebola patients as part of the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency. Chlorine solution, which workers use to clean themselves, had seeped into the gap between her protective clothing and her glove and had burned her skin, according to tabloid Aftonbladet. The civil contingencies agency saw this as increasing her risk of infection, so they opted to fly her home.
The nurse was first taken to a hospital ten days ago but was deemed to be healthy. Nevertheless, because Ebola has an incubation period of 3 weeks, she was told to stay at home and keep in continual contact with the infectious diseases clinic. She then felt ill again and was taken to a specialist infections disease ward in Linköping. New tests once again confirmed that she did not have the disease, but was in fact suffering from another infection. Doctors finally let her leave the hospital today, Swedish Radio News reports.