"It's unusual that people who get treatment for parrot fever don't make it," says infectious disease specialist Eva Lindhusen Lindhé.
In just a few weeks, five people have been treated for severe pneumonia following close contact with birds. It's believed that these people have been infected by psittacosis, or parrot fever, while cleaning a bird table.
Leif Dotevall, assistant medical officer in Västra Götaland calls for extra caution, no matter how harmless the little birds that visit bird tables may seem to be.
"There is a well known route of infection from inhaling dust from dried bird feces, both from wild birds or from domesticated birds," he says.
"One sweeps or brushes and it brings up dust. It is absolutely wrong. One should clean with soapy water, and if, for example, one removes a bird's nest, then you should wear a mask. And wash hands thoroughly afterwards."