An apartment in Eskilstuna was evacuated after a room used as a mosque was set on fire. Photo: Pontus Stenberg
An apartment in Eskilstuna was evacuated after a room used as a mosque was set on fire. Photo: Pontus Stenberg

Local newspaper: Eskilstuna mosque fire caused by deep-fryer

The fire that gutted the Dawa mosque in Nyfors, in Eskilstuna, on Christmas Day, was caused by an overheated deep-fryer, reports the Eskilstuna-Kuriren, citing police sources.

However, a police spokesperson says the investigation is ongoing, and until they've finished their interviews, they will not comment.

Citing an unnamed police source, the newspaper claims that a deep-fryer caught fire, causing the blaze, and that arson was not behind the fire.

Originally, it was thought that the fire was started by a burning object thrown into the building.

Many people were in the mosque the day it burned, and they were forced to escape through the windows.

Our journalism is based on credibility and impartiality. Swedish Radio is independent and not affiliated to any political, religious, financial, public or private interests.
Du hittar dina sparade avsnitt i menyn under "Min lista".